Wednesday, October 16

A book you love


This is one of the harder ones in this list. I have been reading since forever. I remember the first set of books my mom bought for me. It was a 6-book box set of fairy tales. Those were not the first books I read. She got me those so I would stop reading her Medical encyclopedia. 
I was that kid that read everything and anything. My older cousins would hide their mills and boons when six year old me came to visit. I read My book of bible stories over and over again because a tutor's daughter forgot it during a holiday. Guys remember we called tutors 'Lesson teacher' 
I was that kid that hid Goosebumps in between my textbooks while the teacher dictated. I got in a lot of trouble for that. I went to Arabic school with Harry Potter novels all the time. I got in a lot of trouble for that!

After a lot of thinking, A book that I love, and have decided to write about is Half of a yellow sun.
I read this book for the first time a few years ago, and like everyone else it was instant love. I am not going to write about the obvious. I will tell you why it was special for me.
For the 1st time in my entire life, after reading the book, I read up on the Biafran war. When I was around 8 I came across old newspapers (oh joy) in a cabinet in my dad's room. It had a lot of old Nigerian newspapers, and there was this one with the headline Beauty and the beast. It had the picture of a man in army uniform and a very beautiful woman, It was a wedding picture and the words scribbled below were General Ojukwu and his newly wedded wife Bianca.
I asked my dad, and he might have mentioned Biafra - Looking back now, probably not. He was in the army after all.
Anyways after reading Half of a yellow sun, I did my read up on the Biafran war because I wanted to know more. I needed to know more. I needed to understand.
It's hard to believe that so many lives were lost and most people do not even know about it, but thanks to this book, most people I know actually care to find out about that war, especially if you grew up in the North, seeing as the North has a significant role in the war - Unfortunately.

I haven't seen the movie adaptation yet, I will get it when it is out on DVD hopefully.

And that completes my post for today!
Tell me about a book you love, not your favorite book - just one that you love


13 comments:

Sylvester K. said...

I've heard good things about this book, and seen the trailer, but haven't been able to read it or watch the movie.

Thanks to you, I think I just might have the motivation to fins away to read or watch it.

My book love is Twisted Minds by Hilary Norman. I don't know why, but I love it.

pankaj karnwal said...

Nice article thanks for sharing with us.
gate
resultview

pankaj karnwal said...

Nice article thanks for sharing with us.
ctet answer key

pankaj karnwal said...

Nice article on this webpage.
examtapasya

pankaj karnwal said...

Nice article thanks for sharing with us.
reet

negi said...

hi guys i found this new website it has all the stuff u needed for your acedemics,competitive exams or any govt, exams
http://www.kidsfront.com/

Sofiya G said...

Maharastra State SSC Exam result are here to know you result just type Mah SSC Result 2017

Sofiya G said...

SSC Boards announce for the SSC Result log on here at SSC Result 2017

Sofiya G said...

Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It's the little changes that will make the most significant changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!
About Indian super league updates are here for more information log on isl 2017 live score

Sofiya G said...

Tamilnadu SSLC Results are publishing here though board at Tamilnadu SSLC Result 2017

Sofiya G said...

Extremely individual pleasant and whole lots to see! Thanks for sharing. I hope it will be helpful for too many people that are searching for this topic.

Click on for your Kerala SSLC Result though online is the best way to find your results hurry up at Kerala SSLC Result 2017

Sofiya G said...

For Karnataka SSLC students here your looking for Exam Result click on this to know board updates by at Karnataka SSLC Result 2017

Sofiya G said...

Kerala, Karnataka and Tamilnadu SSLC Results in just one click on SSLC Result 2017